Bed Bug Heat Treatment
With their ability to hide in very small cracks and crevices and their growing resistance to insecticides Bed bugs are becoming harder and harder to control. Due the difficulty of accessing bed bugs in small cracks and crevices pest management professionals have turned to using the more wood penetrating heat treatment to eliminate bed bug problems.
Bed bugs actually like heat but they can’t withstand temperatures above 113 degrees. That’s why this aspect of The Matar Method includes a non-chemical, non-toxic approach to penetrate cracks, crevices, walls, furniture, mattresses and anywhere bed bugs try to hide.
Evenly applied heat can help stamp out bed bugs in any growth stage and can minimize the treatment required to eradicate them. Many scientific reports indicate that adults and nymphs die within 15 minutes at temperatures greater than 113ºF and 60 minutes to kill eggs. Sustaining the temperature beyond bed bugs’ threshold has proven highly effective.
How it works:
- Heat treatment involves heating the room to the kill temperature for bed bugs (greater than 113 F)
- The equipment used will reach temperature of 135 which will be sustained in a room for 2-3 hours to ensure maximum heat penetration all over the room.
- Remote temperature sensors are monitored in the room to ensure the kill temperature is reached throughout the entire room
- Fans are set up to create a convection oven style current throughout the room.
- The process usually takes 6-10 hours but depending on the size of the building it could potentially take more
The advantages of bed bug heat treatments:
- It is capable of killing all of the life stages of bed bugs
- It will eliminate the infestation in a day versus several weeks for conventional treatments
- Heat penetrates where insecticides cannot be applied
- Heat treatment is non-toxic
Understand that while the bed bug heat treatment is the most effective way to kill bed bugs it does not protect against re-infestation. Combination treatment is optional. This can provide you with added protection